Elizabeth Day is the author of Friendaholic: Confessions of a Friendship Addict, available now in the UK. Today Elizabeth and Amanda share a down and dirty look at friendship, what is a true friend,getting ghosted, friend break-ups, and experiences they have shared in this murky area of friendship. Is losing a friendship always a bad thing; does it make you a bad friend, or can you heal and be better off without that friend? Find out in this episode.
IN THIS EPISODE:
- [02:56] Elizabeth analyzes friendships – superficial and genuine, and how she came to re-evaluate friendships through the eyes of covid
- [08:58] Coming to terms with friendships that are not active and how those can be viewed healthily. Experiencing grief when friendship disappears
- [14:21] You may be fulfilling a role in a friendship, whether you know it or not. The friendships we establish could be a result of a dysfunctional upbringing
- [20:08] Surviving by making friends, being ghosted and making peace with losing a friend
- [30:00] Statistics and the number of sustainable friendships possible. Establishing friendship barometers and the term non-consensual friendship
- [35:40] Some friends bring chaos continually, and at what cost to you
- Defining the language of friendship is not done when you first get to know someone. However, it should be to maintain the friendship you both enjoy.
- A friend may cast you in a role you neither want nor are aware of, making you an emotional hostage.
- The language of addiction speaks to that friend who is always in crisis and takes you with them. You are enabling them.
“True friendship empowers, enables and embraces the change and the evolution and the growth of both people.” - Elizabeth Day
“A non-consensual friendship is where you find yourself in a dynamic where you never wanted to commit to being this person’s full-blown friend. You were just being nice. Not trying to be rude. My book is an attempt to rectify the language of friendship.” - Elizabeth Day
ABOUT THIS PODCAST:
The Conversation with Amanda de Cadenet is a groundbreaking series of weekly interviews featuring candid conversations with impactful thought leaders. Host, Amanda de Cadenet provides a platform for raw and honest discussions on a wide variety of topics from porn to politics.Visit amandadecadenet.com to learn more and sign up for her newsletter. Follow Amanada on Instagram @amandadecadenet.